Have you lost your pet?
Please click on the image below for a list of animal impound facilities in the Twin Cities metro area, and the cities they serve.
A few that aren't listed on the page above:
Northwoods Humane Society (serving Forest Lake, Wyoming, Chisago Lakes, Shafer, Lindstrom area)
7153 Lake Blvd PO Box 264 Wyoming, MN 55092
ANimal Ark Shelter (serving Hastings area)
2600 Industrial Ct. Hastings, MN 55033
Post your lost animal in the following locations:
In the pet section and lost and found section on Craig's List: http://www.craigslist.org
On facebook, Lost Dogs- MN page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lost-Dogs-MN/337436468302?v=box_3#!/pages/Lost-Dogs-MN/337436468302
On the Humane Society Submit a Lost Pet page: http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/services/lostorfoundpets/lost/add
Be sure to also check the Humane Societies Found Pet Bulletin Board: http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/services/lostorfoundpets/found/list
Petfinder's Lost animal page: http://www.petfinder.com/classifieds/searchclassified.cgi?state=MN&order=created%20DESC&keyword=&type=L
On FidoFinder.com (National Lost Animal Postings): http://www.fidofinder.com/
Lost and Pound (national lost animal postings): http://www.lostandpound.com/
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your lost animal information sent to the National K9 Amber Alert Yahoo Group, and the Minnesota Animal Rescue Yahoo Group. (Or join the groups yourself, but you will receive a LOT of email if you join.)
Post flyers of your lost animal, and be sure to include a photo. Be sure to post in businesses, and give a copy to your garbage man and mail man. They cover a lot of territory, and may just see your lost animal.
Search near water sources. Find the nearest pond, river, creek, etc. Your lost animal will need to find water to survive.
Go visit the local impounds. The person at the pound may not describe the animal the same way you do, or may not be familiar with your dogs breed. Minneapolis Animal Control only takes reports of lost pets in person. You cannot call it in.
Contact impounds other than the one for your area. When a person finds an animal, they will often take it to the impound facility they are familiar with. They won't always call to find out where the correct facility is. There was a posting a while back on Craig's list, where the person said they found the dog in Brooklyn Park, and took it to the Woodbury Humane Society!
West Fargo 701-282-2898
Fargo & Cass County 701-232-7312
Moorhead & Clay County 218-236-9059
IOWA BORDER RESOURCES:
Noah's Bark (located along south eastern border on MN and IA)
3874 County Road W20, Decorah, IA
WISCONSIN BORDER RESOURCES:
Animals in western WI, may be taken to the Woodbury Humane Society. Please see the link at the top of the page for their information.
Animal Shelters in Western WI: http://www.arnellhumane.org/area_shelters.htm
Prevent Loss or things to do to ensure you find your pet:
- Microchip your pet! If you move, be sure to update the contact information with the microchip company.
- If the dog is larger than about 30 lbs, it should wear a buckle collar, not a snap collar. The cutest collars are the snap collars, but they really aren't meant for large strong dogs.
- Be sure your animal has a rabies tag and ID tag on their collar.
- Be sure to regularly check fencing and tie outs to make sure they are secure. Put locks on your gates if possible, or a spring to make sure they automatically close.
- Do not leave your dog outside unattended for long periods of time.
- Make sure you have a clear photo or multiple photos of your pet. Be sure they are clear enough and close enough that another person could recognize your pet from the photo.